laksam is one of Kelantan all time favourite delicacy. It is flat rice noodles, served with white sauce made from fish, shrimp paste and coconut milk and garnish with raw vegetables like shredded cucumber, long beans, bean sprout and cabbage. It is suitable as a breakfast but you still can have it anytime during the day, ...lunch...tea time or even for dinner.
Ingredients for Laksam
2 cups of rice flour
1 tbs tapioca starch
1 pinch of kapur
1 pinch of salt
4 cups of water
some oil for greasing
1) Fill up the steamer pot with a lot of water and boil them.
2) In a bowl mix the rice flour, tapioca starch, salt and kapur together and then add in the water a cup at a time. Mix well and break any lumps.
3) Keep adding the water to get the right consistency .
4) Grease the pot cover or baking tin and then pour 1/2 cup of the mixture and steam until it forms air bubbles on the surface, approximately 5 minutes of steaming.
5) Take the tin out and with a satay stick or screwer,run the edges of the laksam with its tip to loosen it up, and then start rolling the noodles by using the tip carefully, make sure it doesn't break. Repeat the same process until you have finished all the mixture.
6) Cut the laksam rolls into rings to serve.
Ingredients for Laksam gravy
300g fish flesh
150ml coconut milk
4 shallot (grind)
4 clove garlic (grind)
1 lemon grass (grind)
Little ginger (grind)
2 chicken cube
salt and pepper to taste
long bean, bean sprout, cabbage, selasih leaves, bayleaf (daun salam) and cucumber.
1) Fried the ginger, garlic, and shallot.
2) Add fish flesh, chicken cube and coconut milk.
3) Bring it to a boil and simmer for a few minutes.
4) Season to taste.
5) Remove from heat.
Cut the dough about 1 cm thick and put it in a serving bowl. Pour some hot gravy and garnish with slice raw vegetables (long beans, cabbage, cucumber, bay leaves....) and serve it with "sambal belacan"