1 kg tapioca tubers
220g white sugar
400 ml coconut milk
Pinch of salt
1) Grate the tapioca, avoid taking the tough fibre that runs down the centre of the tubers. Weigh the grated tapioca, you should obtain a final yield of 800g.
2) Squeeze it in a muslin cloth or press in a sieve, collecting the juice in a small bowl and retaining the grated tapioca. Leave the juice undisturbed for 15 minutes and then carefully pour off, discarding the liquid on the top, leaving behind the tapioca starch the bottom of the bowl.
3) Combine the grated tapioca, tapioca starch, sugar, coconut milk, beaten egg and salt.
4) Lightly brush the inside of a shallow round or square cake tin roughly 16cm across, with light vegetable oil or butter. pour the tapioca cake mixture into the tin.
5) Level the top with a spoon and bake in a preheated 200C oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
6) Cool before cutting in squares.